Gardens of Compassion Wish List
The Gardens of Compassion has been a project of St. James United Methodist Church and Community Missions for 5 years. Each year the project has grown because of the involvement of many different partners and volunteers. The gardens are a reality today only because of that hep.
Following is our Wish List for what will help the gardens to continue to be a success. If you would like to help with any of the items below, just click on the "please let us know" link in the item.
- Volunteers! This is our biggest need.. The Gardens of Compassion initiative has expanded to be a true community effort. Individuals and groups are invited to register to be volunteers to work along side the volunteers Community Missions' who utilize our residential and community based mental health services. The group gardening day is on Monday from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM beginning in mid-May and running until the end of the growing season in late September to early October. We also need our volunteers to sign up to come out throughout the week to water and weed the gardens. Learn more about volunteering and register here.
- Seedlings and seeds. We are receiving some of our seedlings and seeds from Grassroots Gardens of WNY and Cornell Cooperative Extension of Niagara County. However, we still need more to fill out our gardens. If you would like to help in this way, please let us know.
- Organic Fertilizer: Each year we need to enrich our soil in a way that is sustainable. We do our best to keep everything Organic. If you can help with this, please let us know.
- Lumber for garden repair: Our gardens currently consist of 12 wood, 4x8 raised beds. Over time they need to be repaired and replaced. If you would like to help in this way,please let us know.
More to come!
By The Numbers...
In 2016, Community Missions provided:
• 11,104 nights of shelter
• 89,366 meals
• 6,744 individuals with clothing
• 2,295 care days in Youth Services
• 46,888 care days in Recovery Services
• 73,994 care days in Housing Services
• 182 opportunities for Faith Development