Celebrate #GivingTuesday with Community Missions!by Christian Hoffman
Global Day of Giving Takes Place this Year on November 29
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. - More than 100 students and six restaurants from the Niagara community will partner with Community Missions on its Fourth Annual #GivingTuesday event on November 29.
#GivingTuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. Since its founding in 2012, millions of people have come together to support and champion the causes they believe in thanks to #GivingTuesday.
"#GivingTuesday gives our wonderful community of supporters a way to truly make an impact during the holiday season," said Christian Hoffman, Communications & Development Manager at Community Missions. "We are excited to welcome so many partners back this year, and to welcome some new faces as well, to make this the most successful #GivingTuesday yet!"
On November 29, several local restaurants will be participating by giving back a portion of their sales to Community Missions. Participating restaurants include:
* Rainforest Cafe, 300 3rd Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14303 (716) 278-2626 - Will donate 10% of day's sales
* TGI Friday's, 300 3rd Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14303 (716) 282-2580 - Will donate 10% of day's sales
* Niagara American Grill, 443 Main Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301 (716) 284-2501 -Will donate 10% of day's sales
* Power City Eatery, 444 3rd Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301 (716) 304-1990 - Will donate 10% of day's sales
* Village Bake Shoppe, 417 Center Street, Lewiston, NY 14092 (716) 754-2300 - Will donate $1 for each Cake in A Cup sold between November 28 - December 2
* Panera Bread, 1508 Military Road, Niagara Falls, NY 14304 (716) 297-3567 - Will donate 10% of sales between 4 p.m.-8 p.m. with a flyer found here.
Further, Community Missions will once again give students opportunities to volunteer. Students from Niagara University will kick off the day at 6:30 a.m., preparing breakfast for those staying at Community Missions. Later in the day, high school students from around the area will be working to spread Christmas cheer around the Mission, decorating and wrapping presents, while others will serve lunch in the Community Kitchen.
In all, more than 100 volunteers are expected to participate in #GivingTuesday activities at Community Missions. Those include individuals from the community, Niagara University, and Leadership Niagara's High School program, LYNC (Leadership for the Youth of Niagara Communities.)
Those interested in donating as a part of #GivingTuesday at Community Missions can do so in a number of ways. Donations, including clothing, household items, non-perishable foods and financial, can be dropped off at the Mission, at 1570 Buffalo Ave. Niagara Falls, NY 14303, or made online at www.CommunityMissions.org/donation.
About Community Missions
Community Missions has provided the Niagara community with a wide range of vital services since 1925. In 2015, CMI provided over 87,000 meals and over 10,000 nights of care within its crisis services programs. Additional agency programs serve adults and youth with psychiatric disabilities, parolees, at-risk youth and other underserved populations in both residential and recovery-oriented settings. For more information, please visit www.CommunityMissions.org.
#GivingTuesday is a movement, built by people around the world, to celebrate giving of all kinds. It is celebrated on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (in the U.S.), Black Friday and Cyber Monday; this year it falls on November 29, 2016. This movement is the result of the collective power of a unique blend of partners—nonprofits large and small; businesses and corporations; schools and universities; civic campaigns in cities, states and regions; and families and individuals—to inspire people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities and contribute in countless ways to the causes they believe in. Everyone has something to give.
To learn more about #GivingTuesday participants and activities or to join the celebration of giving, please visit:
By The Numbers...
In 2016, Community Missions provided:
• 11,104 nights of shelter
• 89,366 meals
• 6,744 individuals with clothing
• 2,295 care days in Youth Services
• 46,888 care days in Recovery Services
• 73,994 care days in Housing Services
• 182 opportunities for Faith Development